The Gothic structure of the Drassanes (Shipyards), with its regular square layout and high roofs, was started more than 700 years ago and its height is reminiscent of the churches of that time. Its halls were used to build and repair galleys and large ships of the Crown of Aragon. With the passing of time and of history, the building has undergone extensions and changes, such as the incorporation of the complex into the new city wall in the 14th century (the only vestige of that wall that remains to this day). In 1935 it was put to its current use: the Barcelona Maritime Museum, which is regarded as one of the most important of its kind in the world. For the future, new extensions and further archaeological work are planned which hold the promise of important discoveries in the history of the city.
Av. de les Drassanes, s/n | T +34 933 429 920 | www.mmb.cat
Opening hours: Mon – Sun: 10.00-20.00